Condom Getting Confidence
Mar 2011 21

What was the first time getting condoms like for you? A little scary? A recent article highlights Ben Affleck’s fear when at 18 he first bought condoms. The following is an excerpt taken from the Toronto Sun on the story:

‘The star, who was 18 years old at the time of the encounter, recalled, “I was so scared. I wondered: ‘Are they going to call my mom?’ I went into the store, walked up to the shelf and grabbed the box. I didn’t stand there looking too long. There were two registers. A man was at one, a woman at another. Of course, the woman’s register came up first. I felt so self-conscious and idiotic, but it was all over in a second. I put them down and she looked at me with this stoic face and rang them up and put them in a bag, and I ran out of that store really fast!” – wenn.com

I don’t think he is alone. I mean if you go to the store and even look at the condoms, you feel like someone is breathing behind your back thinking OMG this person is having SEX. What’s up with this? Aren’t we supposed to feel comfortable protecting our health including our genitals from STDs? We don’t think twice about buying toothpaste or soap so why should condoms be any different. There is a stigma in our community that may prevent us from feeling cool about buying or getting free condoms. We may talk about who is doing what with who but rarely do you hear someone say “what do you think about that Trojan condom?” or “where can I get the best condom?” It’s scary enough to talk about using condoms let alone buying them. So what ways can we feel just a bit more comfy with walking into the store, looking at the condom choices, and choosing what works best for us? Here are some tips to possibly overcome that fear:

• Envision it! Picture yourself, calm and collect, walking into Kroger, stopping in front of the condoms, reminding yourself you are doing good things for your health by being there, and picking the best condoms for you.
  • Go with a friend! It may sound crazy but if you are curious about buying condoms, more than likley your friend is too. Next time you are in the store ask your friend to come with you to check out condoms. The two of you will have a little bit more fun selecting the right ones.
  • Know your choices! Check out HOPE website resource condoms section for what kind of condoms are right for you.
  • Know your price options! If money is an issue, don’t worry! Check out HOPE website resource section on where to find free condoms in Genesee County.
  • Practice makes perfect! Your first time might be scary but your second time might be less scary and by your 10th time in getting/buying condoms you are doing it like a pro. Walking into the clinic/store smoothly, looking at which one is best for you, and checking out at the register like it is your job to protect your genitals.

What’s your first time story in getting condoms? What are your tips in doing it smoothly?