Sexy Timing: When is the right time to have sex?
Mar 2011 16

As I listened to a friend tell me how long it had been since she got laid I wondered, what is normal? It had been almost 8 months for her and yet while she desperately wanted to get some she also was not going to the clubs on a manhunt. She was happy, longing for someone, but content. She glowed like she had been laid by something not someone. Her social, school, and family life were going well. She seemed healthy but isn’t having sex a part of being healthy?

That’s the question I think we all ask ourselves. We’ve often heard how terrible it can be to just have a one night stand with someone that we don’t know but yet at times it can feel like it is worth it. There are times when people are with someone special yet don’t feel ready to have sex with that person and may feel pressured regardless and just do it. Then totally feel bad about it afterwards. The question is when is the right time to have sex and does it matter with who?

Ask yourself a few things before you have sex with someone. It’ll only take a few minutes to think about:
• How do I feel about having sex in this moment? (If the answer is anything but confident then slow down and ask yourself some more questions. If this moment is when you are drunk or high, your answer will probably be swayed by these substances instead of how you might feel sober.)
• Have I asked my partner if he/she is ready to have sex with me?
• Was this my decision or were my friends telling me to do so?
• What does this partner mean to me? How will sex affect our relationship?
• There are consequences to sex if it doesn’t go well. Am I and the partner ready to deal with these consequences?
• Do I or the partner have condoms available and ready to use?
• What is my and my partner’s STI status?
• How much do I trust this partner? If I fart while we are having sex or get my period, is he/she going to tell all of his/her friends?

So is there a right time for sex? Check yourself and find out the true answer.

1 Comment

1. day says:

wait for the right time