Sexually Transmitted Infections Part 1: Get To Know Your STIs
Jul 2010 07

Hello Genesee County!

Welcome to the Sexpert blog! This is a place to hear about the latest interesting and relevant topics in the realm of sex and relationships and how they might relate to you. This will be updated regularly with news, facts, and thoughts about keeping you, your relationships, and your genitals safe!

What are STIs?

hivWhen I think of sexually transmitted infections (STIs, also called STDs or VD), I think of the pictures of diseased genitals that we’re shown in my high school health class. Rather than providing a useful tool to teens to diagnose themselves, these pictures were often used to scare young people by showing them a rare but devastating consequence of sexual activity, thinking it would prevent these young people from having sex. However, this is not the best way to teach about STIs, and therefore I will not be showing these pictures to you. If you must see what STIs look like, you can find pictures of them here at the CDC:

STIs can be divided into three categories: viral, bacterial, and parasitic. The main difference has to do with the cause and the treatment. Viral STIs are caused by viruses; they can be treated, but not often cured. Bacterial STIs are caused by bacteria and can be cured with antibiotics. Parasitic STIs are caused by small parasites and can be cured by eradicating the parasite and any eggs it might have laid. I could write about the differences between these STIs until MY genitals fall off, but rather than filling this page with more information than you can handle, I’m just going to provide links to the Planned Parenthood page that will answer any questions you might have about the different STIs that exist:

Viral

Bacterial

Parasitic:

Join me next week when I talk about how to tell if you have an STI. If you have any more questions about STIs, make sure you ask our experts (must be logged in to do so.)

Follow us on Twitter @hopegenesee. Like us on Facebook here. Friend us on myspace here. Subscribe on YouTube here.